Wimbledon may be world famous, but did you know these fascinating facts about the two week tournament?
- Part of the longest partnership in sporting goods history, Slazenger has been the Official Supplier of tennis balls to The Championships since 1902.
- The most aces of all time are:
- Gentlemen: 214 - John Isner (USA) 2018
- Ladies: 102 - Serena Williams (USA) 2012
- The famous yellow tennis balls were first used back in 1986.
- The Championships in 2019 had the second highest ever attendance with 500,397 across the 13 days.
- Play has only taken place on Middle Sunday on four occasions: in 1991, 1997, 2004, 2016.
- We all know that all players must wear white, but did you know that this applies from the point at which the player enters the court surround?
- During the fortnight there are 679 matches played.
- In 2019, the Gentlemen's Singles Final had a peak audience of 9.6m.
- 290 million, yes million, tennis balls could fit into Centre Court with the roof closed.
- The fastest serves of all time were achieved by Taylor Dent (Gentleman’s Record in 2010) & Venus Williams (Ladies’ Record in 2008) who served at 148mph and 129mph, respectively.
- Approximately 191,930 portions of Strawberries are served throughout The Championships!
- The Championships' grass playing height is 8mm.
- And finally, Rufus, a Harris Hawk, trained by Imogen Davis of Avian Control. Visits the Club most weeks in the year to provide a deterrent to local pigeons by making aware of a predator in the grounds to persuade them to roost elsewhere. Flies for one hour (9.00am) most mornings of The Championships before the gates open.
So now you're an expert on all things Wimbledon, it's time to upgrade and experience the ultimate hospitality experience. Get in touch to discuss the available packages for The Championships, Wimbledon.